The shoulders can handle unbelievable amounts of weight, and also assist you in many upper body exercises such as bench presses and bent over rows.
The shoulders and traps are the only muscles in my opinion that can’t be developed enough.
The wider and rounder your delts and traps are, the more your upper body appears much bigger than it actually is, and the smaller your waist looks, giving your body a “V” taper.
Anatomy of the Shoulders:
The shoulders are made up of 3 different heads called deltoids, each with it’s own specific function.
The anterior (front) deltoid lifts the arm to the front, the medial (side or middle) deltoid lifts the arm to the side, and the posterior (rear) deltoid lifts the arm to the rear.
All 3 of the deltoids also work together in order to press weight over the head.
Some methods to pump up the intensity are:
1. Supersetting presses with raises.
2. Supersetting presses or raises with shrugs.
3. Applying any of the Weider intensity principles to your training regularly.
I recommend doing at least one pressing exercise along with an isolation exercise for all 3 deltoids.
This workout will consist of 4 main shoulder exercises and 3 trap exercises.
The exercises where the reps are going down like 12, 10, 8 you will need to increase the weight by between 5 and 10 % to get maximum results out of this workout.
Use these tips:
- Warm up 5 mins on the treadmill or 1 – 2 warm up sets of the first exercise to save injury.
- Use the correct form! Watch the video above to learn each exercise or click on each exercise below!
- Rest – 30 – 60 seconds between each set and exercise.
|Shoulders & Traps Workout:|
|Shoulders & Traps|
|Barbell Shoulder Press||4||10,10,8,6|
|Dumbbell Front Raise||4||10|
|Dumbbell Lateral Raise||3||12,10,8|
|Arnold Dumbbell Press||4||15,12,10,8|
|Behind Barbell Shrugs||5||15|
|SUPERSET – Shrugs (Heavy) + Barbell Up Right Row||4||12|