As a child, shepherd’s pie was one of my favorites.
But now, having cut white potatoes out of our diet, I experimented with sweet potatoes in this dish for two. The result is different, but just as yummy!
Makes: 2 servings
Total Time: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- Dash each ground cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Scrub and pierce sweet potato; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 10-12 minutes or until tender, turning once.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the corn, tomato sauce and spices.
- Place in a 1-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray; set aside.
- When cool enough to handle, cut potato in half; scoop out the pulp and place in a small bowl. Mash with butter, milk, salt and pepper.
- Spread evenly over meat mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.
- Yield: 2 servings.
1-3/4 cups: 404 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 900mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 6g fiber), 27g protein.