A vegan dish with lime, cilantro, corn, and black beans that can be served hot or cold. This Mexican style quinoa is heart healthy and full of great tastes.
You can even add avocado if you wish but that’s up to you as you will see below.
Prep 10 MIN | Total 45 MIN | Servings 8
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- One onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 cans (15 oz each) of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, diced (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the quinoa in a strainer. Sometimes it can have a bitter taste on the outside so rinsing gets rid of this.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and cook for a couple of minutes or until onion is soft.
- Add the quinoa and vegetable broth to the pan. Add the cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil and then cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in lime juice and frozen corn into the pan and simmer for 5 minutes or until corn is heated through.
- Finally, mix in the black beans and cilantro. Garnish with chopped avocado if desired.
- Serve hot or cold. Store in refrigerator.